A spin of the classic carrot and coriander, this nutritious soup combines carrots, ginger and lentils. It is super quick and easy to make, and the added lentils makes a satisfying meal.
Toronto has some beautiful, surprisingly large green spaces nestled between bustling blocks of urban landscape. Yesterday I was amazed to find the wooded area of Sherwood Park not much more than a fifteen minute-walk from my apartment. You can comjpletely forget you are in the city and spend hours weaving between the trees – spotting chipmunks scurrying along the path.
Today we ventured on the subway to High Park. This is probably the largest open space in Toronto – and was a popular choice what with it being a bank holiday weekend plus glorious weather. There is so much to do there, from nature trails to sports courts, ice-creams and even a zoo. My favourite thing however was the wonderfully vibrant blossom that stood red and pink against the blue sky.
I made this soup a few days ago but until now have not got round to posting the recipe. It kind of explains why I am writing about something much better suited to a rainy day than a holiday. Nevertheless it’s tasty and I wanted to share!
It is important to me that cooking is enjoyable, stress free and does not break the bank. I find it so frustrating when I find a delicious looking recipe, but the ingredient list is never-ending with obscure ingredients. For everyday cooking, I don’t want to have to google what half the ingredients actually are, and then spend hours hunting them down in shops before cooking. That is why I try to keep my recipes accessible, straight-forward with cheap and easily resourced ingredients.
Makes 4 servings, Total cooking time = 50 minutes
What you will need:
- 1 white onion
- 3 garlic cloves (I love garlic, reduce to 2 if you don’t like garlic as much as me!)
- 1 litre hot vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried coriander (use a handful of fresh chopped coriander if you prefer)
- 8 medium carrots
- Half a cup of lentils
- 1 generous thumb ginger
- Seasoning (salt and pepper)
- Tbsp Olive oil
- Use a large saucepan. Chop the onion. Crush and chop/ mince the garlic. Finely chop/ mince the ginger. Add to the pan with a spoon of olive oil. Fry for a few minutes until it is starting to soften.
- Add the cumin and stir for a couple more minutes.
- Scrub and chop the carrots. Add to the pan. Rinse the lentils then also add to the pan. Add seasoning and coriander. Mix well.
- Add the stock. Bring to the boil then turn down the heat. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- You may need to add more liquid after 30 minutes as the lentils will thicken the soup a lot (It depends how thick you like your soup!). Blend with a hand- blender.
- Serve with crusty bread and enjoy!