A crispy and satisfying chicken, bacon and avocado salad – full of all the good stuff!
It is easy when you are working in a heavily air-conditioned office (and I mean fridge like temperatures – I’ve started to take a jumper to work with me) to forget how absolutely roasting it is outside.
It always gives me a bit of a shock when I step out of the door at 5pm.
Today I decided to take a slightly different route home from work. I got the line 2 subway to cut east across the city rather than riding line one around the bottom of the horseshoe. I regretted it.
Toronto please air-condition your line two subway!
Everyone in my carriage looked like they were close to passing out. I had to perch right next to the doors just to get a gulp of air every time the doors opened. By the time I got off the train I felt so disorientated I almost got on my connection south rather than north.
And the rather icky experience left me feeling pretty hot and bothered by the time I got home.
A delicious, perk me up dinner was in order.
The Recipe: Crispy Chicken, Bacon and Avocado Salad
Makes 2 servings
What you will need:
- 1 chicken breast
- 2 rashers of bacon
- 50g plain flour
- Salt and pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- Vegetable oil
- 75g (approx.) breadcrumbs
- Green lettuce mix (4 handfuls)
- 1 avocado – stone and skin removed, sliced
- 1 small red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- Cucumber (approx. 15cm)
- Croutons (optional – see here for recipe)
- Pre-heat the oven to 375F
- Slice the chicken into nugget sized pieces.
- Sprinkle a pinch of salt and pepper into a bowl with the plain flour and mix.
- Dip each chicken piece in the flour, making sure if is well coated. Next dip in the beaten egg followed by the bread crumbs.
- Place in oven proof dish, and drizzle over a little oil, extra salt and pepper (will stop the chicken pieces drying out in the oven).
- Dice the bacon and add to the oven dish.
- Cook in the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Whilst the chicken and bacon is cooking, prepare your salad. Mix in a large bowl the lettuce, sliced avocado, cucumber and chopped onion.
- Serve and enjoy!